a small specimen of wavellite from Meldon Railway Quarry, Okehampton, Devon
|Origin||Meldon Railway Quarry, Okehampton, Devon|
It was first described in 1805 for an occurrence within the High Down Quarry, Filleigh, Devon, England and named for William Wavell (20 December 1750 – 15 January 1829) of England who discovered the mineral where it occurs lining joints in black, cherty slate.
Wavellite was first discovered in 1800 at Barnstaple in Devon (UK) and was described by the English physicist, W. Wavell. Larger quantities of this mineral were discovered at the beginninig of the 19th century near Ttenice (Czech Republic), when mining iron ores and quarrying for building stone. Wavellite usually forms radial bunches, which are mostly round; sometimes it may also form small needle-shaped crystals. It occurs in sedimentary rocks, such as greywackes and sandstones, where it developed by alteration and crystallisation from the dissolved shells of various animals. The best known deposits, apart from the Czech Republic and Devon are at Langenstriegis near Freiberg in Saxony (Germany), the world-famous magnetite mines near Kirunavaara in northern Sweden, at Chester in Pennsylvania (USA) and at Ouro Preto in Brazil. Wavellite has hardly any industrial significance.
Meldon Quarry near Okehampton was mothballed in 2007/8.
from Wikipedia – Wavellite, hydrated aluminum phosphate [Al3(PO4)2(OH)3·5H2O], a common phosphate mineral that typically occurs as translucent, greenish, globular masses in crevices in aluminous metamorphic rocks, in limonite and phosphate-rock deposits, and in hydrothermal veins